Backup Sump Pumps
Before talking about backup sump pumps, we need to learn a little about Sump Pump Basics.
Removes water from the sump basin and discharges it away from the foundation.
A sump system consists of six main components:
- Groundwater Collection System – Routes excessive groundwater to a sump basin.
- Sump Basin – Basin that collects liquid for removal.
- Primary Sump Pump – ¼ HP to 1 HP, submersible or pedestal.
- Discharge Pipe/Hose – An open valve or pipe run that carries discharge water away from the home.
- Check Valve – Prevents backflow through discharge outlet so that water pumped out of the basin does not flow back into it when the sump pump turns off.
- Backup Sump Pump System (Optional) – Can provide added protection in the event of a power failure or if your primary pump fails.
Types of Sump Pumps
There are two types of backup sump pump systems, battery powered and municipal water pressure powered. Backup sump pump systems are combined with a primary sump pump for additional protection and peace of mind. Your backup sump pump system will turn on in the event of a power failure of if your primary pump fails.
Most sump wells are 30” deep. We dig ours 36” deep and fill the bottom 6” with gravel and also drill holes in the bottom of the sump wells before installation. This has 2 benefits:
- Allows left over water to drain down into the ground and dissipate so water is not left in the bottom of the sump well when the sump pump shuts off. All sump pumps leave water in the sump well after pumping. If the water stays in sump well it will leave dampness/humidity/smell in the air.
- Holes and ground allow mud/sand/silt/sediment that is carried into sump well by water flow to settle out of sump well, eliminating the need to clean sump well.
Serving Maryland, Baltimore County, Cecil County, and the following towns in Harford County MD Aberdeen, Abingdon, APG, Baldwin, Bel Air, Belcamp, Benson, Churchville, Darlington, Edgewood, Fallston, Forest Hill, Gunpowder, Havre de Grace, Jarrettsville, Joppa, Kingsville, Magnolia, Monkton, Perryman, Pylesville, Street, Whiteford, Whitehall.